What’s the point of lip scrub?
This is the question I used to ask when I saw lip scrub at the beauty supply store or saw a recipe online. I am an avid lip balm user, but never understood the point of lip scrub.
Then I started wearing brighter lipsticks. A bright pink or red lipstick lets all the imperfections of your lips shine through (great) and I started noticing the finer lines and dry skin on my lips, even after applying lip balm. Please stare at my super bright chapped lips! Err, or don’t stare at them!
So I found a great recipe for a lip scrub (thanks Lauren Conrad) that can be created with two simple ingredients. I’ve been learning more about the health and beauty benefits of coconut oil and am especially loving this for a lip scrub. Remember to use an organic, cold pressed coconut oil so that you are maintaining as many of the benefits as possible (I have loved this Vitacost one and it is one of the best priced ones out there).
DIY Coconut oil Sugar Lip Scrub
- 1 teaspoon caster/fine sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
Preparation and instructions
1. Mix all ingredients together to create a paste.
2. Apply mixture to your lips and lightly scrub your lips for 30 seconds. Leave the scrub on your lips for ten minutes. Then clean mixture from your lips with water or a napkin. You may find yourself licking some off and that’s ok too!
- Caster sugar is a natural exfoliant
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid which is both antibacterial and antifungal (err fungus on my lips sounds like the most disgusting thing ever!)
- Coconut oil contains vitamin E, a fat soluble antioxidant which nourishes cells and strengthens capillary walls (aka, your lips look refreshed)